Canvas is a virtual learning environment and online course management tool. Incorporating Canvas into the course provides students with multiple avenues of knowledge which further enrich their education and learning.
Issue Submitting Office Documents
Internet Explorer 8 downloads Office 2007 or Office 2010 files save as zip files instead of the correct file format. Double-clicking the file extracts the contents into a folder which contains files Office cannot open.
Office 2007 and above save their files in a zipped format. While the file has an extension of .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx, Internet Explorer 8 interprets the file as a .zip file and attaches that extension to the download.
If you have to (or want to) continue using IE8
1. In the upper-right corner of IE8, click on Tools to open the drop down menu;
2. At the bottom of the Tools menu, click Internet Options;
3. In the Internet Options dialog box, select the Security tab;
4. On the Security tab, select the Internet zone, then click the Custom Level button;
5. Scroll about 2/3 down the list to the option “Open file based on content, not file extension” and change the setting to Disable;
6. Click OK;
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for the Local Intranet zone and Trusted Sites zone;
8. Click OK;
9. Close all instances of IE8;
10. Reopen IE8 and it should now recognize Office 2007 and 2010 file extensions when saving email attachments.
Use any alternate, modern browser: Try Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera
Questions? Email: email@example.com